Loko was one of the first galvanizing companies to specialize in Thick-film Passivization.
This process offers interesting benefits, such as:
- very high corrosion resistance (better than conventional Chrome 6 yellow passivization)
- the possibility of combining with a relatively thin sink layer
- temperature resistance up to 210°C
- less adverse environmental impact (Chrome 6 free)
The corrosion resistance after a Thick-film Treatment can be even further improved by application of a sealing Gleitstar® top layer. This post-treatment has a repairing effect on scratches and light damage and is in particular very suitable for drum work.
Thick-film passivization is preeminently suited for products that are currently hot-dip or cobalt galvanized. Examples of this are fencing components, fastening materials, bodywork parts, stall construction materials and other products used in corrosive circumstances.
Advantages of thick-film versus thermal galvanizing:
- suitable for screw thread (without chasing)
- optically more attractive (hot-dip galvanized products quickly turn white)
- more environmentally friendly (thinner layer = less sink)
Advantages of Thick-film versus cobalt galvanizing:
- visually more attractive (the original zinc color is retained)
- more environmentally friendly as the zinc layer does not contain cobalt
- more cost-effective
|Treatment||Result with white rust||Result until red rust|
|Standard passivization||48 hours||168 hours|
|Tick-film passivization with Gleitstar® topcoat (Zn 10 DS-GS)||336 hours||>600 hours|
|Hot-dip galvanized (for comparison purposes)||24 hours||400 - 600 hours|
|Treatment: standard galvanisation|
|Treatment: Thick-film passivation with Gleitstar® topcoat (Zn 10 DS-GS)|